Gardening in Winter What to Do and When
Welcome! If y'all're new here, you may want to subscribe join my newsletter and receive a FREE copy of my "5 Easy DIY Dazzler Recipes" ebook! Thanks for visiting!
For gardeners, the dead of winter is their worst enemy. It's the one time each year they can't busy themselves outside. This flavour tin be extremely frustrating and easy to wish away. Even so, there are several ways y'all tin enjoy the gardening in winter.
We are in the centre of winter right now, but the tips I am sharing today can be used any time in the coming weeks. Many regions will nevertheless feel cold temperatures through March and into April.
Gardening in Winter
Winter Garden Prep
Today I'chiliad sharing my tips and suggestions to laissez passer the fourth dimension and prepare for your jump garden. These are gardening tasks y'all tin can exercise during those very cold months such as January and February, and into March depending on where you alive.
These tips volition besides assist y'all get a jumpstart on your garden. Having a abode garden is a wonderful fashion to produce your ain food for your family, it is therapeutic and provides an opportunity get outdoors near every twenty-four hours.
Related blog posts:
• Milk Jug Greenhouses to Kickoff a Garden Early
• Lettuce in Winter Easy Growing Guide
• Go Rid of Deer With These 5 Proven Tactics
• Free Garden Catalogs to Program Your Garden
Winter Gardening Tips
Winter Gardening Tasks
In the winter and early jump gardening can seem non-existent. It frequently does motion at a slower stride but before yous know information technology you will exist busier than yous e'er imagined. Each year by the time it'due south May I am so busy in the garden information technology feels like that's all I am doing!
As plants (and weeds) grow there are daily tasks to do. In social club to best prepare your garden, I am offering a list of things you lot can begin at whatsoever time, starting today.
Completing these tasks now will not but keep you busy during a time when a lot of usa are indoors, but also get you ahead on garden tasks so that May won't be quite as intimidating!
Write in Your Gardening Journal: The off-season is a wonderful fourth dimension to work on your gardening periodical. Right now I have a Moleskine Gardening Journal. You can apply any journal or purchase ane intended for gardeners.
In the journal take notes on the past season, what worked, what didn't. Tape what yous planted and where. Then use the garden journal to program this twelvemonth's garden. You might jot down what seeds y'all desire to purchase, landscape design ideas and more!
Order Gardening Catalogs: The adjacent step I like to have is to order garden catalogs. This tin can usually exist done starting in January. This is when seed and plant companies effect catalogs to let consumers know what products are bachelor for purchase that year.
In add-on to providing information on how to order your seeds, the catalogs contain a lot of information about gardening. Most catalogs are free to order, for more than data I take a mail all nearly how to social club garden catalogs.
Purchase Constitute Seeds: After reviewing the garden catalogs and your journal, it'due south a practiced footstep to identify your seed orders. Seeds can be purchased in person at a store, or ordered online via post, or ordered via postal service with the form in the dorsum of the gardening catalogs.
Again, almost of these companies take seed orders twelvemonth-round simply starting in January they have all of their seeds for the year available. The longer yous wait to gild or purchase the selection may exist impacted. I was rather late with my lodge this year and just placed it on March 15. I ordered 16 varieties this twelvemonth and only one seed I wanted was sold out.
Purchase Gardening Supplies: The winter and early on spring is a great time to stock upwardly on the essentials. These include seed starting soil, potting soil, fertilizer, peat moss and more. Usually I take inventory of what products I accept left from the yr prior and make up one's mind what I demand to buy. Other items include grass seed (to be planted later) and lawn fertilizer.
I accept noticed that in terms of local stores, many offer specials or coupons during the first few months of the year that are better. This is likely because the gardening centers are slower for business and desire to depict in shoppers during those months.
For example, Petitti Gardening Centers are local to us. Usually they offer coupons for $10 off a $twoscore buy but in the colder months such as February and March they bump it upwards to $10 off of a $thirty purchase!
Attend a Gardening Evidence: Equally I wrote concluding year, my hubby and I attended the Cleveland Home and Garden Show. Attention a winter gardening evidence is a wonderful way to spend the colder months and inspire your gardening creativity. Many large cities offer these expos and shows.
If you don't live in a city where one is offered, or if your show is non beingness offered this year, you might programme a trip to your local garden center anyway to check out their displays and proceeds gardening inspiration. They might also exist sharing what gardening trends are popular and what plants will be big sellers that year.
Clean and Sharpen Gardening Tools: If y'all didn't practise this back in the autumn when putting the garden to bed, now is a good fourth dimension to clean and acuminate gardening tools prior to using them this spring. This includes shovels, rakes, hand pruners, shears and more. Well-nigh tools can be sharpened and cleaned.
You tin besides use oil to condition woods handles. Storing tools without soil on them volition make them terminal longer and assistance to forestall rust. I have more information on this in my autumn garden chores post. This tin can be done on a warmer twenty-four hours outside or anytime inside your garage or garden shed.
Learn More About Gardening: Wintertime is a wonderful time to read about gardening, educate yourself and learn more. While I took formal training through becoming a Certified Master Gardener, equally part of my certification I proceed teaching through in person events, online seminars and reading.
You lot tin read gardening books or magazines. There are also gardening websites and blogs. Your city might too have gardening events scheduled. They are commonly at the library where I live. Garden centers may also host events or speakers.
Enjoy Houseplants and Cut Flowers: During the winter and early on leap it's a wonderful fourth dimension to bask your houseplants and fresh flowers. Houseplants in particular, I think, tend to exist ignored more once the outdoor garden is thriving.
Make sure to spend time watering your plants (just don't overwater). You lot tin can do light pruning, but repotting and fertilizing is best left until tardily leap. I like to buy fresh cut flowers and accept them on brandish in the home. Learn how to make your fresh flowers last the longest by reading my post on that topic.
Pruning and Weeding: Starting in March, weather condition permitting, you can begin to clip some plants. During this time I clip fruit trees and bushes. It is proficient to prune them prior to the buds opening. Pruning shears should always exist cleaned and sanitized.
Pruning of other plants including roses should be held off a flake longer. If information technology'due south as well cold they can be damaged by early on pruning. I too wait to clean up any beds until later, typically late April or early May. In March you can also pick winter weeds, removing them before they go to seed.
Offset Your Garden Early past Seed: On boilerplate, March is as well the calendar month I outset my milk jug greenhouses. I have started them in February and also as late as April. I have a whole web log mail devoted to milk jug gardening and how to beginning your garden early by seed. This fashion you have seedlings prepare to constitute outside every bit soon as the risk of frost has passed.
Planting seeds early has helped me relieve money every year on my garden, it's also a great mode to do gardening in the wintertime. When starting the seeds, follow all directions on the seed packet and establish then in order of your frost engagement (working backward).
Begin Spraying for Deer: Believe information technology or not if you want to work on brute pest prevention, how is the time to begin spraying. Deer in particular are out eating and beginning to create their eating patterns. They are habitual and if they find a m with tasty plants they will render on a regular basis.
Ideally, begin spraying or combatting wildlife now so they discover your yard and garden to exist less enticing. I have a whole post most deer prevention and another post nigh how to get rid of rabbits in the garden.
Winter Garden Ideas
In Summary
Wow! At that place is and so much to do in the garden in the winter. Just writing that list fabricated me realize how much more I can exist doing likewise. Contrary to popular believe winter gardening is a busy time, even if you live in a climate with a cold winter.
Go on in listen the exact timelines of the tasks will vary slightly based on where you alive. I live in Ohio, constitute hardiness Zone v. Also each year is dissimilar. Some years are colder and may push button tasks later. If it's a warmer year you might exist able to consummate some of these sooner.
Exist certain to always adhere to your frost appointment timeline to make sure you don't lose any plants and enjoy the sunny days most!
What winter gardening tasks are you doing right now?
*This post was originally published in 2022 and has been updated and republished for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Source: https://blog.hollyhammersmith.com/gardening-in-winter/
Post a Comment for "Gardening in Winter What to Do and When"